Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I think I'm an atheist now, he whispered.


I have a friend. Well, I have more than one friend, but the friend I am referring to whispered this line to me at lunch. This same friend spent a year studying Judaism so he could convert to the Jewish faith. He went to temple, celebrated all the Jewish holiday's and even tried to talk his partner in to converting. So imagine my surprise when he tells me he thinks he is an atheist and why was he even whispering? WHAT IN THE HELL?


Now he has always been out there in left field in his logic but this really surprised me. When I asked him what he did believe in, he said "mankind". Mankind? Wait, isn't this what Ebenezer Scrooge says in A Christmas Carol? Why the change of heart? He read a couple of books. I sighed out loud and asked him why he would you go through all this work to now become an atheist? Apparently, not all Jews who worship at the temple believe in the Almighty. This is news to me.


I just can't argue with this. Personally, I believe he became a Jew for the holidays and because they are more accepting of the gays than other religions. Remember on Seinfeld when that comedian became a Jew just for the jokes? Now I am not a religious person but I do have faith. Faith is what sustains me. Where would mankind be without faith? Scary thought. I totally respect his opinion, as crazy as it may be and yes, he reads this blog. We will probably both end up in hell for all the shit we do on a daily basis. Is it a sin to have a sense of humor about all things, including things that are sacred? I hope not, going to hell people, going to hell...


K

1 comment:

La Skeletor said...

Okay, okay! You've blown my cover, Kelly. I converted for the holidays. I've been fasting on Yom Kippur since I was 10. It's an obsession.