Sunday, December 6, 2009

It was 1970 something in the world that I grew up in.

On my way home from work I was listening to the radio and I heard the song 19 something by Mark Wills and started singing along. I love this song because I am a child of the 70's and it makes me happy. I started thinking back to the 70's and remember a few things about it like bell bottom pants and watching The Brady Bunch. Isn't it obvious by my attire I was a fan of The Brady Bunch?

And look who I married??

Yes, despite the glasses and that hair...this is the boy I married, who by the way is way cuter now and doesn't wear those tank tops anymore.

My family moved to Hawaii in 1976, where my dad was born and raised. The 1970's were a huge decade for me because my life really changed with that move. I was happier being surrounded by a huge loving family and who wouldn't want to go to the beach every day? I had longer hair, a flatter stomach and looked and felt like I belonged in Hawaii. I had so many cousins that I didn't need friends and it was fun. Then I realized I had so many cousins and I couldn't find a moment of alone time and that was hard to get used to.



Hard to believe that those little boys grew up to be this and are now married with their own children.

With 2010 right around the corner I am feeling somewhat nostalgic for the old days when life seemed simpler. I will always remember watching Charlies Angels and vowing to grow up and drive a Cobra because that was the cool car the angels drove - I just drive an SUV now, not quite as exciting. I remember my parents talking about Vietnam and now we are talking about Iraq and Afghanistan. I remember when Elvis died and being so sad and now it is Michael Jackson and understanding people's reactions. My mom has never liked New Years Eve, she always worries about the bad things it will bring. I always love it because I look forward to the good things it will bring. I hope I never lose that hope.

K

No comments: