Friday, December 5, 2008

Great Expectations


While Big Red is working the late shift this week I have had some free time on my hands. Have I been Christmas shopping, cleaning house, building a monastery, feeding the orphans or creating world peace? These would all be valid and useful ways to spend my free time but no. When I am looking for entertainment it either comes in the form of books or old movies, so who has been burning up Turner Classic Movies? What bliss...


Last night I watched Dickens classic 'Great Expectations' and I loved it. (NOT THE GWYNETH PALTROW VERSION, THE ORIGINAL! AS IF!)I had only seen the Southpark version of old Miss Havisham and Pip and couldn't seem to get that crap out of my head. I laughed when Miss Havisham told Pip "You look like the model of gaiety". How sad that our language had diminished so much that the word gay no longer means happy. I believe this is the reason I love the classics like Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice; because of the language. Back then they used 7,000 words to say something that could have been said in 10. I may use that line on H though, it certainly applies.


Old Hollywood was great, I miss it. Not because I was ever there (how old am I??) but I love the shorts they play between movies that depict life back in the day. That was when stars were big and glamorous and didn't look like the rest of us. While I was watching this movie I kept thinking Herbert Pocket looked so familiar and then I saw his name, Alec Guinness. Why did that name seem so familiar? I went and looked him up and he played Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars! It also stated that despite everyone's better judgement, he believed Star Wars would be a hit and negotiated 2% of the profits...how right was he? Funny how he hated being only known for that character yet that character made him so rich and famous.


See?! This is why I watch old black and white movies, so much history and interesting facts to be learned. Lord knows my head is full of useless and trivial shit and I can only hope someday this will come in handy. It is also with some sadness that I realize this makes me seem so old and I don't know anyone else who share's this love of mine. Maybe there is a support group for me? My hubby will tolerate it but more often than not falls asleep next to me while I immerse myself in the book or movie. I love the fact that he still does it just to be with me and I appreciate him for it. It's a good day indeed when I have good books, good old movies on TV and a new goose down comforter from Macy's. Next on my indulgence list? Christmas movies here I come!


K


No comments: